Faculty Relations, under the Office of the Provost and Vice-President (Academic), provides assistance to the U of A community on a range of academic human resource issues, including:
- Providing strategic counsel to the Provost and senior administration on academic staff issues;
- Providing advice on academic HR issues relating to academic appointments, secondments, leaves, compensation, faculty evaluation, medical accommodations and categories of academic staff;
- Providing assistance in the interpretation and application of the Faculty, Faculty Services Officer (FSO) and Contract Academic Staff: Teaching (CAST) academic staff agreements;
- Building and maintaining collaborative relations with the Association of Academic Staff: University of Alberta (AASUA);
- Managing compensation negotiations and Agreement Review Committees (ARC’s) with the AASUA,
- Managing negotiations with the Graduate Students’ Association on the agreement covering Academically Employed Graduate Students;
- Assisting in the development, interpretation and application of various policies relating to the conduct of academic staff, including Conflicts of Interest and Commitment, Ethical Conduct, Discrimination and Harassment, and Research and Scholarship Integrity Policy;
- Resolving conflicts, grievances, appeals and complaints that involve academic staff;
- Managing the Housing Support Program.
Faculty Relations works collaboratively with Human Resources in interpreting academic agreements and administering terms and conditions for all academic staff. FR representatives provide support to other units of the Provost’s Office responsible for academic and administrative unit reviews, and the review and selection of Faculty Deans.